Saturday 22 February 2020

Feb 20 & 21

Thursday 20
There was a lineup at the Radiotherapy dept. check-in and even though Joseph stocked up on pills for the event, the chairs in the waiting room defeated him. Thanks to the lady ALONE on the check-in desk - who abandoned the line up and whisked him away to a recliner in a back room. He emerged from the “planning scan” with two black dots on his tummy and longing for his bed.
... and we have a date for the radiotherapy to start on Monday Feb 24.  We don’t know the other (4) dates - for some reason we won’t know them until we arrive on Monday!

Friday 21
Julie from Canberra is visiting and as well as quietly cleaning up behind me - she has agreed that today, come-what-may, we will go to Centrelink and we will submit an application for a SENIORS HEALTH CARD (I’ve spent weeks trying to do this on-line and had all but given up!). 

This card, that I didn’t know existed, is for self-funded retirees to receive discounted drugs and even with the govt. subsidy, the cost of the drugs Joseph now devours grows daily, so, in the words of my other friend from Canberra, Carol ... “Nil bastardum carborundum”, we leave Joseph happily in his chair with Cassia and Mireia and off we go.

An hour wait; I fall asleep, Julie stands on guard for thee and no one gets ahead of us! ... and after another 40 mins of trying to prove that Joseph exists, and lives with me, and that I am who I say I am, and thank goodness I have the photo of our new lease I just submitted, because even though it’s in my name, it also includes Joseph’s name/signature because, well, he lives with me and that crazy form saves the day (afternoon) and we leave with numbers and codes and the promise of a card... and “Nil bastardum carborundum“ ... we didn’t let them!
just 
In lieu of any interesting photos and until the black dots ... this is all I have to break up the text.

I guess that’s a pretty good day.

1 comment:

  1. Well done on the struggle with bureaucracy. Sometimes the manufacturer of drugs will have a "club", perhaps they feel guilty that that drugs cost so much, but they have a fixed amt that you pay per month if you get some sort of card. Usually it seems to be for drugs that don't have generics. Ask your doctor. It might work. Long shot. L JKM / DGH

    ReplyDelete