Sunday 29 March 2020

March 26-28

 By Wednesday we had confirmation that all of our visitors had made it back home, so joseph could rest easy ... 

We had our weekly visit from the lovely Kirsty the PC nurse and it seemed as though joseph had a UTI and in no time at all we had the specimen bottle dropped off, the specimen submitted and the script ready at the pharmacy  - hello Morag! It’s me again 👋🏻 and we were back  home with another pill to add to the stash!.  

After a pretty horrible night came some deep sleeps that came on suddenly, even when holding coffee! and I became concerned and called Palliative Care.  I guess I must have sounded a tad deranged because they not only arranged for the lovely Kirsty to come back again but also a nurse to come and stay the night!!  The more I tried to explain I didn’t need one the more i think they thought I did!

Kirsty arrived to check on us and also with the news that, in fact it wasn’t a UTI. What should have been good news, was of course not, as we realized that the cancer was causing the problems. So we laughed and cried a bit with Kirsty, god love her, and then later at 10.00 p.m. Frances arrived to spend the night!

 I kissed joseph goodnight and trundled off to the room at the opposite end of the house (was the office, now Julie’s room) to sleep in the bed we setup for Julie. It’s a small room for sure but with the biggest window and views that you can see from your bed!  I slept 6 hrs!  Down the other end, Joseph slept 3 according to Frances, and then they spent a few hours in the early morning chatting.  Poor Frances, she now knows everything about us and they even figured out that her father is Pablo’s boss (he provides the funding for the project).  Still in all that she left at 6.00 a.m. declaring joseph to be the best patient she has ever had!!  

So on Saturday we made it down to the playing field across the road to sit in that same brown chair with the pillow and talk to Jasper and Billie who kept their distance except to give Grandpa their painting and a special hug when they left. Lots of hand sanitizing and hand washes on return, in the hopes we didn’t spread anything other than our love.
Jasper and billie had an art lesson from an artist-friend of their Gran’s and we could love their pieces they drew just for Grandpa
I drove the car around to the playing fields so Jospeh could also sit in it for a while and pretend to drive! Mostly he counted the buttons ... he counted 60 buttons to control just about everything your heart desired except the one thing he desired most was to drive it ... but he didn’t.




1 comment:

  1. Hey Joseph... re: Jill's new car... you should not be surprised by all the buttons. David has a saying that old people shouldn't drive old cars. We need all those buttons. I had a Z3 for 20 years until it just about died on the road... and it had very few buttons. I couldn't see out the window when it rained and I couldn't see to back it up unless I took the top down and looked over the back of the car. But I looked cool.. it was a racing green Z3. When the radio gave out, I finally HAD to get a new car. The one David and Owen made me buy, came with a 360 camera, something that makes the steering wheel vibrate if I get too close to anything or try to do a lane change when someone is in my blind spot. If I try to run into something, it will stop the car. It even has a heads up display so there is no reason at all for me to claim I didn't know I was speeding. It hands me the seat belt with a little mechanized hand. I had no idea that I needed all these things.. but I"m a lot more confident driving now... even if it is an adult car and not a cool Z3... sigh. How you are having a good day... JKM

    ReplyDelete