Thursday 26 March 2020

March 25

I should tell you that the pickup of the white Mercedes GLA180 never did happen on Tuesday afternoon.

There was a mixup with the dates they said - it wouldn’t be ready until tomorrow, it needed a final detailing they said.  So Mischa and I drove to the showroom in the hopes we could find a way to make it happen, but finally we decided it wasn’t the end of the world (that was what was happening outside) so I mentioned the Mercedes clock I had spotted while Julie and I were having our free coffee (seems Jospeh can never see a clock from his bed) and we took that home instead.

He liked the clock so Mischa hung it and now he can almost always tell the time
Unless the glare is too bad or the shadows too dark!
This clock makes no sound!


So today (Wednesday) Joseph came with me for the pickup. We took a beach chair that reclines and is padded (we bought it to use for star gazing) and we took a cushion as well and set it up at the salesman’s desk and it meant joseph could be there while I signed the papers for his gift to me.

Whoops we should be behind the tape-line for proper distancing!

They had the red bow, some lovely flowers and the gift bag and because of the virus nobody was allowed to get in to explain everything, so we said thank you and left with our white GLA180 Mercedes Benz ... and we drove for an hour or so out along the new freeway - on what would have been the route joseph would take on his way to the bird sanctuary - the road that was to save him ½ hr+ each way - and it was the first time he had been for a drive outside of hospital and clinic visits, since Christmas and it was so smooth and lovely floating along in our little bubble.

We dressed up ... why not!
We appreciate that it is grossly indulgent for us to be doing this while the world falls apart around us - and we wish more than anything that none of it was happening.

3 comments:

  1. I love your new car Joe and Jill. It is perfect for you. Congratulations..enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill and Joe, where do I begin. I've wanted to write something profound and inspiring for months now. Alas, I'm just going to list all the things about you two that have inspired me. In no particular order...
    You are two of the best humans I've ever met. Honest, kind, grounded, just great people. When we first crossed paths at the Museum, from our fist conversation Joe, I knew that the public and staff would benefit immensely from your contributions. I think of the hordes of kids you survived each spring break (x2 for QC and ON), of the earth sciences students you hired that knew their stuff and could add value to every transaction with the public... who you paid above-minimum wage to, who you treated with respect... like family. You added value (sorry for the phrasing) to every exhibit, special event, lecture, book launch, and programming the Museum had. I am so glad that you weathered the transition from the old bureaucracy to your own streamlined system... and then the RENOVATION. You have the patience of Job.

    I fondly recall chatting with Jill at Carlingwood and then her sneaking me a special discount when I bought the neatest things at your other store. About sitting around in your backyard under your Aussie canopies, safe from the sun, about getting the most delicious gelato on Preston Street. You were even gracious about drinking Terry's "homemade" wine. Terry doesn't take to many people, but he was delighted any time we spent with you.

    And Jill, your strength and stamina... it isn't so much that you have supported and survived, but you have the depth of character to stand back and laugh... yes through tears, but it beats what so many others resort to. I believe you are blessed with loving family and friends because that's what you two have nurtured.

    It appears to me that you are just so smart to grab the moments that you have. Bravo on the new car! Funnily enough, Terry did the same thing... getting me a new (used) car so that I'd be set. Thinking of loved ones until the very end. I hate to use the word 'end' but there is no other. Whether it is the end of a phase, or whatever.... depends on your view of the universe. Your family and friends will carry both of you in our hearts, so your essence will never disappear. Life will change, but the ripples continue forever. Biggest hugs and love, Risë

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be good for the economy! You are doing the world a favour, and Joe gets to have the pleasure of giving you a good, safe car! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete