Thursday 23 January 2020

Days 2 & 3

... not sure whether to post a day-by-day account of the next 9 weeks?  We are hoping there are some really boring days but these beginning days (of treatment) I guess have the potential to be not-boring...

Day 2 (Tuesday) 
... fairly uneventful - running errands while feeling “good” in preparation for maybe worse days ahead, meant a tired joe by the end.  The nausea and pain are fairly constant and we now have vomiting on occasion.  Hydration is a huge part of this trial, so that doesn’t help and to make sure it isn’t a problem they are provide intravenous fluids.

Day 3 (Wed)
... hooked up again - saline not drugs - more vomiting and now elevated temperatures... but otherwise!!!  😔 

Happiness:
Right now it’s a fleeting thing, and at the clinic, we are having trouble dealing with happy people! Most are quiet, efficient and friendly - some chat a tad too loudly and joyfully for us!  Of course it’s our issue (there are always headphones) and I’m sure that little “quiet-like-a-mouse” me would annoy everybody if I had to work with sick people on a daily basis ... and I bet as the weeks go by, and we (hopefully) feel more joyful, they will be complaining about me 😑!

Driving
The trip from home to clinic is 7.5kms and a 17 min drive. I drive (OxyContin + driving don’t work) but try as I might it’s agony for him. I’m pretty sure it’s because I have to change gears! (I think my record shows what an excellent driver I am ☹️).  We have a manual - it’s the smallest SUV Joseph could find - because the extra height was needed to access the various birding sights. Sadly, I think the manual might have to go.

Walking:

He can walk, once he gets upright and then no bending or twisting and he can go straight ahead, BUT dear me “walks” aren’t on the cards yet - next week we hope!

3 comments:

  1. if you have time...and energy...keep on posting. Enjoy your perspective. I had to get rid of my manual car because the clutch hurt my foot in traffic. David is never happy to ride when I drive... does everything but put his feet on the dash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart goes out to you during this very difficult period. One day at a time, one step at a time, one appointment at a time… Here’s sending you warm thoughts to stay as positive and strong as possible. When I went through this with my dad, the focus for motivation for me was to try and make each day, this day, this moment, every moment, the best I possibly could. I guess it was my way of pushing dark thoughts away to pour my energy into things I could influence, and not allow sadness to block out the small glimmers of pleasure or happiness. I send you all my love. I wish there was more I could do… But please know you’re in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe, we're wishing you well every day. Rick'n'Fiona

    ReplyDelete